5 Ways to Unplug
The Christmas lights have been unplugged and the tree has been undecorated; our beautiful and nostalgic decorations have been put back in storage for another year.
The lights aren’t the only thing that needs unplugging. I’m one of those people that craves connection and loves to be plugged in to what’s happening in the world, with my friends, and in my town. But in this season of hibernation, I am trying hard to keep the phone in the charger and not check social media and email 42 times each day. I’ve loaded up on the things I need to make unplugging easier:
1. Hot Beverages. Good quality decaf tea is a great nighttime beverage when you want to curl up with a novel. Add honey to keep it interesting. Offer the kids some hot cocoa while they read and just watch them join you!
2. Books. Uh, yeah. Hibernation season is alllll about books. Fireplace and warm socks and get hygge with it.
3. Puzzles. A good puzzle on the dining room table is the perfect digital deterrent. Walk by, take a look, try to find that one piece, and the next thing you know an hour has gone by and you haven’t checked your phone even once.
4. Bundle Up. Pull out that bin of mittens and ear warmers and take a freaking walk. Unplug while you do it. Podcasts allowed of course because we are not animals and expected to be alone with our thoughts, although if you are good with being alone with your thoughts, that’s okay too I guess.
5. Travel. This one requires planning and coin, but I’ll report back from 5 days in the hot sun of the Mexican Riviera and let you know if you combine the outdoors and a book, do you get even better results. I think yes but time will tell. Adios!